Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declining eyesight can be improved by looking at red light, pilot study says

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/h...ess/index.html

Summary:
    • A few minutes of looking into a deep red light could have a dramatic effect on preventing eyesight decline as we age, according to a new study published this week in The Journals of Gerontology.
    • Researchers recruited 12 men and 12 women, whose ages ranged from 28 to 72. Each participant was given a small handheld flashlight that emitted a red light with a wavelength of 670 nanometers. They spent three minutes each day looking into the light over a period of two weeks.
    • Researchers measured the cone function in subjects' eyes by having them identify colored letters with low contrast. And they measured their eyes' rod sensitivity by asking them to detect light signals in the dark.
    • There was a 14% improvement in the ability to see colors, or cone color contrast sensitivity, for the entire two dozen participants. Improvement, however, was most significant in study participants over age 40. For those ages, cone color contrast sensitivity rose by 20% over the course of the study.
    I am a moderator in this community

That is AWESOME!

Comment

Great to hear. Some of us here have issues with color in the games, so maybe this can help with getting better scores.

Comment

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to post the study in our Science Slack channel at work
        Lumosity Community Manager

Comment

At my age, my sight is fading away and I have trouble discerning color, particularly in low light. It makes playing some games a bit challenging, but I do persist. This study has given me hope that my sight can be improved. But I don't have that much time left on this mortal earth, so they'd better hurry up with the research.

Comment

Great! Now I have to figure out how to make a flashlight show red at 670 nanometers!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Great! Now I have to figure out how to make a flashlight show red at 670 nanometers!
              When you figure it out, let us know! I am interested in making such a device.

Comment

• Evan
                Evan commented
                Editing a comment
                I sure will!

i wonder if they have done studies in younger people who already have glasses, or deteriorating eyesight. i know i've had glasses since sixth grade, and my eyesight hasnt declined a lot, but i would love to improve it.

Comment

One of my eyes sees darker than the other. It's as if the eye was looking through sunglasses and color differentiation is messed up. Maybe this red light therapy can treat that. *fingers crossed*

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x