Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing air filters in classrooms has surprisingly large educational benefits

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing air filters in classrooms has surprisingly large educational benefits

Source: https://www.vox.com/2020/1/8/2105186...nt-achievement

Summary:
    • An emergency situation that turned out to be mostly a false alarm led a lot of schools in Los Angeles to install air filters, and something strange happened: Test scores went up. By a lot. And the gains were sustained in the subsequent year rather than fading away.
    • But it’s consistent with a growing literature on the cognitive impact of air pollution, which finds that everyone from chess players to baseball umpires to workers in a pear-packing factory suffer deterioration in performance when the air is more polluted.
    I am a moderator in this community

That is really good to know. I live on a busty street with a lot of traffic, and I believe the pollution is having a detrimental affect on my cognition. I am considering getting a home air filter.

Comment

Hi tu, thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Very interesting! I have an air filter at home, so I'll need to pay attention to my cognitive abilities while working at home vs. somewhere else. Thanks for sharing!
        Lumosity Community Manager

Comment

This is a significant discovery!

Comment

I think I've read somewhere that the air pollution inside a home is up to 5 times more than outside (but don't quote me). So opening the doors and windows to let in fresh air is a beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulBenne View Post
            I think I've read somewhere that the air pollution inside a home is up to 5 times more than outside (but don't quote me). So opening the doors and windows to let in fresh air is a beneficial.
            Spending more time outside is also beneficial, particularly for children. Sorry for quoting you.

Comment

Today I bought an air filter for my room, where I spend 90% of my time when I am at home. I don't expect my Lumosity scores to go up dramatically, but I know I will breathe cleaner air. It is extremely dusty in my room for some reason.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
                AnnaBanana commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, now I want one. Is it particularly loud?

• Jon.I
                Jon.I commented
                Editing a comment
                How much was it??

• baby_yoda
                baby_yoda commented
                Editing a comment
                AnnaBanana You can definitely hear it if you are close to it. I can hear it sitting 3m away when it's on minimum. It's a low humming sound. I expect to get used to the sound eventually and it will just become an ambient background sound. On Turbo it is quite loud.

Jon.I $150.
                Last edited by baby_yoda; 06-14-2020, 08:13 AM.

I want to get an air purifier, but the number on offer is bewildering.

Comment

• baby_yoda
                baby_yoda commented
                Editing a comment
                True. In the end I just chose one sold at a major electric appliance retailer and picked one based on asthetics and price. Any air purification is better than none at all.

Our Science writer recently published a blog article talking about how the currently lowered CO2 levels have possibly affected cognition: https://www.lumosity.com/en/blog/wha...cts-our-brains
              Lumosity Community Manager

Comment

Just an update on the very positive effects of the air filter, after three days of use.

I used to intermittently cough, sneeze and clear my throat and nose because of dust. Now I don't do any of those things. My sinuses and airways are clear. My mind is awake and alert, whereas before I often felt "brain fog" and fatigue, with poor concentration. Now I can focus for much longer periods than before. It may be due to getting better quality sleep. My physical health and well-being just feels so much better.

I highly recommend that people get an air filter. You will feel the benefits almost immediately. I now firmly believe that indoor pollutants significantly impacts our health and well-being.

Oh, and I am also spending an extra 30 minutes outside everyday, reading, exercising or playing Lumosity.
                Last edited by baby_yoda; 06-16-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• testuser
                  testuser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the update

• LumosLaura
                  LumosLaura commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fascinating update! Glad to hear you're feeling better overall

I bought an air filter for my room. It's working great! Am I supposed to leave it on all the time?

Comment

• DirkFrances
                  DirkFrances commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used to leave mine on 24/7, but after a few weeks realized that this was not necessary. So now if I am out of the house for more than an hour, I turn it off. I also turn it off when I ventilate the house (open windows) for an hour each day. No point having it on if I am not at home and breathing bad air!
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x