No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve brain health?

Hi all. Does any one here do anything non-game for brain health? Like exercise, supplements, etc...? I take fish oil and read.

I walk laps at my local hospital or, in the warmer weather, outside 7 days a week - also love to read, jigsaw puzzles, genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by DirkFrances View Post
      I walk laps at my local hospital or, in the warmer weather, outside 7 days a week - also love to read, jigsaw puzzles, genealogy.
      Sounds great! I walk and train at the gym, but not as regularly as I should. Love to read when I have time.

Comment

Supplements: Udo's DHA blend, Resveratrol, some potassium bicarbonate when I feel like poop, etc.

Comment

Exercise for at least 15 minutes am and pm, is most noticeable.

Comment

I love the fact that we can still grow neurons. Takes work, which doesn't happen sitting on the couch watching TV.

Comment

Yoga, and hill walking when time and weather allow.

Comment

Depending on the weather, I like walking. My friend has 22 acres and their property is slightly hilly, so it's a good natural exercise. I also swim when I can. Does Yoga count?

Comment

We workout in the weight room 3x a week then walk 2 days a week. I think it helps.

Comment

Exercise is mind-numbingly boring for me. I can surf the internet all day. So I put a laptop next to my recumbent exercise bike and peddle and surf at the same time.

Comment

I exercise almost daily (though the holidays have me slipping!) I'll usually head over to the YMCA and use their ellipticals and/or bikes. I also recently purchased Ring Fit for my Switch, which is a workout game similar to wiifit. It's super fun and the exercises are pretty tough (in a good way!)
                      Lumosity Community Manager

Comment

Funny that people mention hill walking, because my treadmill has an incline function, and I set the incline to 3 degrees (max incline of 15 degrees). Basically, I can get more exercise done in less time. Some machines can incline up to 45 degrees.

Comment

I've been watching a show on Netflix called brain games, and its remarkable. each episode teaches you things about your brain, some of the episodes deal with things on Lumosity, like ways to improve your working memory, and why your brain reacts to the countdown on the games. others are about how your brain perceives the world, and a bunch of other cool things about your brain. I believe it was a show on national geographic before, not sure if it's still on today. it might not make your brain healthier, but it will sure make you feel smarter after you watch it.

Comment

I try to do some or all of the following whenever possible:

Cardio to increase oxygen to brain,
                            HIIT- High Intensity Interval training
                            meditation to reduce stress,
                            getting good sleep
                            eliminate sugar and refined carbs, gluten foods and high glycemic foods,
                            Eliminate processed foods
                            Reduce red meats, add only grass fed,
                            Watch portion size,
                            Intermittent fasting

Adding these Nootropics daily
                            Bacopa extract
                            Lion's Mane
                            French maritime extract
                            Curcumin
                            DHA
                            CDP Choline
                            N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC)
                            Alpha Lipoic Acid & Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl
                            Ashwagandha
                            Huperzine-A
                            Pterostilbene
                            Occasionally adding Oxiracetam or Pramiracetam

Comment

• bumpstock
                              bumpstock commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's a lot of nootropics to ingest daily!

• Evan
                              Evan commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Wow...you sound like you know what you're doing!

• tothemax
                              tothemax commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you for the kind words.   I spent many hours researching and developing this nootropics stack and health program. I have a very specific goa: to stay healthy and fight cognitive impairment as long as I can.  I have mild cognitive impairment (MCI) which can, in most cases, develops into full blown AS.  I  want to fight this trend. I am doing all I can to stay as healthy as possible as long as possible.  The most important item I  forgot to mention above is to avoid foods which cause inflammation and eat foods which reduce inflammation.  According to what I read, MCI and ultimately Alzheimer Disease  (AD) is very much related to and accelerated by an inflammatory diet, stress and lack of exercise.  I am doing all I can to slow the progression and regain some of the cognition I had lost. I have had measurable success in this so far.

I can say with absolute certainly that this regiment and specifically the nootropics have a huge effect on my cognition  and LPI scores. I gained back some of functions I had lost before I started my program. Also I feel much sharper & faster than I did before and my LPI scores have surpassed by almost 60% where I was 8 years ago when I first tried Luminosity.  Also I regained some of the fine motor skills I had started to loose. My typing for example got much better and almost back to where it was before. Sharing what I learned here in case it can help someone else.

All the best and stay sharp
                              Last edited by tothemax; 12-31-2020, 03:58 PM.

Great to see someone actually health-conscious and taking care of themselves!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x