No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Drive Theory & Happiness Relation to General Intelligence & IQ

So I came across something interesting on quora; apparently there was a scientology movement in the 1950s caused by a book that someone wrote regarding pain drive theory and how that can help someone improve their life and intelligence. The basic premise seems to be that people often give up before they reach the full capabilities that they're able to do due to something called the reactive mind that tries to prohibit any activity that may cause overexertion (basically anything that strays too far from what you're used to being able to do) -That is, the mental pain or strain causes most people to stop pursuing whatever task they were onto despite them having the biological capability to actually overcome that and achieve whatever they were just about to do, that aspect where you were about to do something that you hadn't really done before.

Quoted: "Leon Hulett, Professional Engineer, Engr. Manager, Tutor, Inventor, Aerospace, Space, Others
    Answered Aug 4, 2017
    Originally Answered: Can you increase your IQ?
    “Can you increase your IQ?”

Yes, one can increase their intelligence, at any age.

Pain. Before 1950 it was found that anyone’s mind tends to avoid pain, and tends to seek happiness.

Aristotle said that man’s purpose was to seek happiness. He did not say how to do that, or what that might do to one’s intelligence.

There was once upon a time something called, pain-drive theory. A quick search shows those words are not so popular these days. The idea was that if someone did not want someone to do something they would hurt them in someway. A Drill Sergent might say, “Drop and give me 20!” This was supposed to hurt, and thus the person might be convinced to do what the other person wanted. My brother once upon a time was beating me with a belt to force me to do something he wanted. I did not like the idea of that so I refused, again and again. Pretty soon my brother got desperate and tried to beat me till I did comply. Instead, I decided to not do anything he wanted and that no amount of physical pain could be used to make me do anything. (He got tired and gave up.) It was strange at school where they were still using corporal punishment back then. I would get into trouble with another person, the exact same behavior and he would be sent to the superintendent’s office. I got nothing. It was a mental state. I became a model citizen, won a Citizen of Year award, and the others joined the military or the local police.

But in 1950, someone did publish a book that said that anyone could increase their intelligence by removing the pain stored in the mind, and the author felt it was most important, for man to remain free, to have specific techniques and data freely available to everyone, that anyone could use to actually do this, to actually accomplish this. This effort of course, was opposed by those who incomes and influence might have been threatened. No matter how quickly you search you can find these people still.

Later the author published another book that showed a specific technique to do this using “happiness”. That book is called Self Analysis: L. Ron Hubbard: 9781403144102: Amazon.com: Books I recommend you read this book first.

In 1950 that first book was a run-away best seller when it became available to the public. That book is called Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health: L. Ron Hubbard: 9781403144843: Amazon.com: Books This is one of the best books I have ever read.

A study was done in 1950 to show how anyone could read this book, apply the techniques, and increase their intelligence. (and a lot other improvements as well) Three licensed pschometrists tested 88 people right off the street. They were tested before and after; they read the book, applied the techniques for 40 hours, and had the techniques applied to them for 40 hours. They averaged 10 points of gain in intelligence in those two months. A summary of this study was published in the front materials of another book. I let a friend read my copy and when he gave it back he said, “This is the most important book man has!” That specific book was published before 1970, and later issues do not contain the summary of that study: Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behavior: L. Ron Hubbard: 9781403144850: Amazon.com: Books I recommend issues from 2007 or later for reading. But any library should have one of those early editions that contain the summary of the study.

So, yes, you can increase your intelligence!

Now that book from 1950, describes something very important to your question, and my answer, pain. It describes what a mind looks like when all the pain and unconsciousness has been removed with these techniques. The author called this a state of Clear. Where all the pain in this lifetime, capable of being located with these techniques, has been removed. At the time the book was written 200 people had become Clears. Since then, 10’s of thousands have gone Clear. Chapter two of the book describes in detail what the capabilities of a Clear are. The minimum IQ of a Clear today is 135. I estimate the average as about 150.

So, yes I believe you can increase your intelligence. Remove the pain from your life and increase your happiness. That should get you into a high IQ range.

These books describe techniques that can do this. They also describe what the mind is and how it works. It describes functions in the mind, you may not have imagined existed.

- Leon" End of Quote.

It seems pretty interesting, the motivations seem pretty similar to that of N-back at least that's how I feel anyway. I'm planning to look more into it, but if anyone's starving for any more resources involved in raising general intelligence, here's another. -To be honest, there are probably some in the double digits that the general public just don't know of. As a side note, yes I understand that iq testing only measures a single line of what people are capable of doing (related with true intelligence) even despite that being related more with problem-solving which is used often in life. Still excelling in one area tends to lead to development in parallel efforts as well is something I believe in. Not to mention nowadays the concept that IQ rises for people over time and that it's somewhere between 60% hereditary and 40% development (at least based on the studies I've looked at) is honestly more than enough. Considering a person of 100 iq, a delta of 40 in either direction is honestly supported to occur on average. - Yes I know that's not exact math, but the concept of growth is that 40% is a lot more significant than you may think
    Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM.

How long ago did you read these books FM? Do you think they increased your intelligence, or did Lumosity increase your intelligence?

You probably already know, but Ron Hubbard created the Scientology religion (Tom Cruise is the most visible follower). He also wrote science fiction.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't yet, I just read this post today and figured I'd share it. As for your question though, I'm pretty certain that Lumosity did increase my intelligence. -I had a friend with whom I took an online iq test with a few years ago (not the well-documented ones but fake ones which are likely a lot easier). On the fake iq test though, he still scored 5 points higher than me. I know he's kept fairly active since then, but afterwards I scored ~15 points higher than him on the more official online tests. (He scored ~10 points lower while I scored ~10 points higher on the more official online tests which are obviously harder) So that's like a change of 20 despite him having kept up more in schoolwork and other educational stuff. As a side note, I'm pretty certain mine is ~146 somewhere (at least from a week ago when we did that thing where I posted) -Time honestly feels slower for me throughout a longer period of time, before days would fly out like they were nothing and now a week ago feels like 2 months and it's only after I note the date I realize it hasn't been that "long" ago. -I'm absolutely certain that intelligence was raised, I'm clueless as to how much it actually helped. As someone said, don't judge the day by the crops you've reaped, but the seeds you plant. Sometimes things take longer to become integrated and practically used.

My personal hope right now is that after ~100-150 more hours of lumosity practice, I raise it back to 2000 (I'm going to add in 3 more memory games and that's accounted for in the time span) and that'll hopefully net me like 1-2 more iq points. Then I'll continue N-back for ~60 hours? and raise my n-back from 6 to definitely 10, perhaps 12 for what I'm hoping will be a gain of 3-6 points. At the same time, get and read those books and hope for a 5 point boost? (I have an odd feeling it'll be a lot higher than 5 though) I'm going to try to get an iq of 160 at a bare minimum and see how it goes from there, I don't know.
      Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 06-01-2018, 11:52 AM.

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      I look forward to hearing from you in the future about your raised IQ.

I am curious to know what your brother's IQ is? And you parents?

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      ah I believe you're referring to the quote which was found in quora by Leon Hulett

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      I just want to know your family's IQs.
      Last edited by Evan; 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      same D: my parents are lowkey being very secretive about that annoyingly. the trace amounts I know has come out of my father's mouth by impulse

In hindsight, I think the books above will be either very useful or completely full of bs. Take this resource with a grain of salt.

Comment

I've heard of Dianetics before but never bothered to find out what it was about. I'll check if my library has a copy.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
        Foolish Mortal commented
        Editing a comment
        If you manage to secure a rare copy published before 1970 which has the mentioned study, please post a photo of it D: I'd like to read it and check the validity.

• HappyKlown
        HappyKlown commented
        Editing a comment
        Alas, my library does not stock this book. *sigh*

Originally posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
      The idea was that if someone did not want someone to do something they would hurt them in someway.
      I find it easier to offer a reward if I want something done. But I get what you're saying. Such an interesting topic.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x