Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped at Level 19, Trial 2

I've been stuck at Level 19, Trial 2 for a few days now. I breeze through Trial 1, but get stumped every time when I get to Trial 2. I can easily and quickly find a path that only leaves one or two moves, but haven't figured out how to eliminate them for the win.
    I've restarted four or five times with hopes of getting an easier 2nd Trial...
    No such luck, stumped every single time!!

Here's a screen shot of one I'm one move short on no matter how I work it ... I would greatly appreciate it if someone could solve it.
    Last edited by Gore; 09-01-2018, 08:56 AM.

I am currently on level 11, so 19 is way out of my league. I'd love to see what the solution to this is. Welcome, btw.

Comment

Thanks pinkcat, glad to be here. I've started from level 1 twice now (getting stuck at L19 - T2 more than once both times, lol). I thought some mid-levels seemed more difficult because there's so much space between the animals and their homes. Good luck to you moving onward and upward!

Comment

Jesus, I never realized how hard this game can be if you don't get to move the guy, but I think I may have got it. And yeah I had a lot of cycles of just one off too. Hold on.
        Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 09-01-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
          Foolish Mortal commented
          Editing a comment
          Could you try: Bird, Carmeleon, Blue Cat, Bunny, Bunny House, Porcupine, Charmeleon House, Turtle, Blue Chat House, Pug, Red Cat, Pug House, Bird House, Porcupine House, Red Cat House, Hot Dog, Hot Dog House, Racoon, Husky, Turtle house, Husky House, Racoon House: Rip I think I still run out of room.
          Edit: It's been over an hour and I haven't got a clue. Sorry man, if it makes you feel any better I think I also remember the second problem of level 19 to be quite hard too when I solved it.
          Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM.

• Foolish Mortal
          Foolish Mortal commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll continue to look at it if you like, tomorrow, but I can't promise you when I'll solve it Perhaps Roland or Carlos may have an idea

Sorry man! Lvl 19 is too high for me! Oh yeah, welcome!

Comment

It may well be that the Pet Detective problems are generated by an algorithm, and therefore at the high levels are only solvable by an algorithm. Maybe they can solved by a human, but not in a timescale that is remotely practical, even if a person had all the time in the world.

Welcome to the community and congratulations on getting to level 19, which is a tremendous achievement in it's own right.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            Some problems do sometimes appear to be far harder than their counterparts; there are also some rare moments when the algorithm believes the best response is in reality a less efficient one and glitches - masterpiece is one example, sometimes you can reorder the shapes in ways that's not predicted by the algorithm and solve it in less rotations than it thinks you should be able to - there's never the opposite case of course since the algorithm creates and checks to see if the solution exists.

Don't sweat it Foolish Mortal. I would love to see it done because it would give me the heart to keep trying. I would start L-19 over knowing it is solvable, but I wouldn't want to cheat my way past with this one.
          I am thinking you're right Evan, it could take a very long time to solve one of these. I know they are solvable, but after working one for a couple of days on and off, I end up saying "This thing is programmed wrong!", even though I'm sure it isn't.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the community Gore Enjoy your stay, yeah I'm actually coming up with a few ideas on this one as there are multiple instances where certain movements are forced and there are a few key points where you can choose to delay movement by trading a couple of sequences with a different set that have varying +4s; +2s; -2s in required movement; but yeah, you really need to be able to consider many variations where you end up with only one lacking, two lackings, isolate the differences and exchanges and then solve the problem to do this one legitmately it seems without just trying a bunch of things until it gets solved. Thanks for sharing this btw, in some ways this is a lot harder than the zebra puzzle I posted : p I'd rather take the level 20 problems. I guess this is a nice one to look at from time to time as needed. To clarify, the main problem is not the 32 moves limit but the fact you can only hold 4 pets at a time. The upper region requires a control of 3 while a manipulation of 2 from below if the pug is to be taken intially to save movement, and the bottom requires 4 where the porcupine and previous holdings must continue to remain. So a sequence with the same idea without exceeding 4 pets is required.

• Gore
            Gore commented
            Editing a comment
            I've come ending with needing only one extra move using 2 or 3 different routes. In past levels that would have had me looking for a certain place In the route to save one move. That doesn't seem to be the true in this case. I'm thinking it might be a completely different route. Then again, I may be missing that one spot that saves me a move, who knows?
            It is challenging to say the least.

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinking it's an amalgmation of the routes that need to be micro-calculated, the macro scheme seems deceptively simple, but causes issues due a tendency to require an additional spot, so a path that only requires 4 at all times must come from a combination of those macro-enforced paths that allow this to be possible when the seemingly couple of obvious macro paths are broken down to their constituents.

I think I solved it: Porcupine, Turtle, Pug, Red Cat, Pug House, Porcupine House, Red Cat House, Lean Dog, Lean Dog House, Raccoon, Blue Cat, Husky, Turtle, Husky House, Raccoon House, Chameleon, Bird, Bunny, Bunny House, Chameleon House, Bird House

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            This one was unusually hard though.

• Gore
            Gore commented
            Editing a comment
            Kudos!! Man, that was a rough one all right.
            I had the wrong route and got stuck on it without seeing any other.
            That was amazing, dude!!
            Now I will start Level 19 at Trial 1 again to see if I can get past Level 2 myself, and hopefully all the way to L20-T3.
            Thanks again... Now I know for sure that it can be done.

• Evan
            Evan commented
            Editing a comment
            Good job FM!

• CarlosTheJackal
            CarlosTheJackal commented
            Editing a comment
            We'll done man! =)

• pinkcat
            pinkcat commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, I got the same solution! J/k

Whew! Made it!

Started Level 19 over from Trial 1 and solved all 3 of them.

Level 20... Here I come!

Comment

• Evan
            Evan commented
            Editing a comment
            Good job!

• Gore
            Gore commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Evan

i just got to level 19 on pet detective. it's a rabbit! also, i did 3 training exercises and did not do the 4th and 5th. the next day i lost 10 points on my overall score.

Comment

• CarlosTheJackal
            CarlosTheJackal commented
            Editing a comment
            That's probably because you scored less than your best 5 in those games you played.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          i just got to level 19 on pet detective. it's a rabbit! also, i did 3 training exercises and did not do the 4th and 5th. the next day i lost 10 points on my overall score.
          19 is really impressive!

Comment

anybody know what animal 20 is?

Comment

• HappyKlown
              HappyKlown commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, sorry.

• PaulBenne
              PaulBenne commented
              Editing a comment
              A blue rabbit!

Just got to level 20 in pet detective. It took about a year. I cleared the first 2 screens and nothing on earth was going to stop me from clearing the third screen. I got a route that ran out of gas just one step from clearing the screen. I wondered if this particular screen had no solution. I started altering the route in various sections and eventually got it. to my amazement I had one to spare. And level 20 is another blue rabbit. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulBenne View Post
              Just got to level 20 in pet detective. It took about a year. I cleared the first 2 screens and nothing on earth was going to stop me from clearing the third screen. I got a route that ran out of gas just one step from clearing the screen. I wondered if this particular screen had no solution. I started altering the route in various sections and eventually got it. to my amazement I had one to spare. And level 20 is another blue rabbit. Go figure.
              Holy Cow!!! I'm still on the yellow dog and can rarely top that. I don't care because I have so much fun playing the game!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x