Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Order bug?

Is anyone playing Organic Order? I seem to have found a glitch at around level 23, where they lock two veggies in place. The directions vs the placement seem to be reversed - anyone finding that to be true? I have written twice to the Lumosity help desk - so far no help. No problem with game at lower levels, only when they start locking in to place.

I have noticed that sometimes they'll say something like "If Grappes are to the left of Carrot, then Corn must be in Position 1" when in fact Corn is locked in Position 4. Is that what you mean? If so, I just take that as meaning I should not put Grappes to the left of Carrot. Yes, I know is spelt grappes wrong, but if I spell it correctly, the word just shows up as G****s!

Comment

• testuser
      testuser commented
      Editing a comment
      This is because some words are banned here. The four letters that are not shown form a word that is banned.

Originally posted by azeroth View Post
    I have noticed that sometimes they'll say something like "If Grappes are to the left of Carrot, then Corn must be in Position 1" when in fact Corn is locked in Position 4. Is that what you mean? If so, I just take that as meaning I should not put Grappes to the left of Carrot. Yes, I know is spelt grappes wrong, but if I spell it correctly, the word just shows up as G****s!
    That type thing is exactly what I mean and I am forced to make an error because I cannot move the locked in veg. This is an example I copied directly from level 25 -" If tomato is in position 1, then berries must be next to tomatoes." What shows, however, is - position 1 berries , position 2 carrot, position 3 tomato, position 4 corn. Am I nuts or what? I am checking my flash player.

Comment

• azeroth
      azeroth commented
      Editing a comment
      Since tomato is not in position 1, you are free to put the berries anywhere you want. In other words, where there's an "if," then "if not" is also a possibility.

The confusion is that they are saying one thing and showing another. This wasn't an issue until I got better at it and got to level 25.

Comment

I went to the game looking for the level 25 you were talking about. This game is weird because there are different levels within one run of the game. e.g., I left on level 28, but went back to the game and was immediately at level 24; I thought I'd have to work through level 24 and part of 25 to get the game subset you cited. But, one minute later, level 25 (not the one you mentioned); one minute later, level 28. The "to the left of" or "to the right of" does not always been adjacent to. I do recall being irritated at one portion of a game about a week ago, when I ran across something that I thought was unsolvable. It just didn't make sense, and that might be the same one you've encountered.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their comments. When I calm down about this, I am going back to it and see what happens. If and when I come to the same type of glitch, I will recreate it and put it in here to see if I'm the crazy one or if it's Lumosity.

Comment

Okay, here are two examples - level 28 "if peas are to the left of corn, then corn must be in position 2. Carrot or berries must be in position 2". Their answer - berries, carrot, corn, peas. You'll notice that they say corn must be in position 2, then turn around and say carrots or berries must be in position 2. Then I'm sent back to level 24 "If g****s are to the left of corn, then g****s CANNOT be next to tomato. Tomato and g****s are locked in positions 2 and 3. Their answer is corn, tomato, g****s , carrot. I think they are wrong?

Comment

• testuser
            testuser commented
            Editing a comment
            Both answers are correct. Pay attention to the 'if' condition. If that condition is true, then the second condition must also be true. If the condition is NOT true, then the second condition doesn't need to be true.

In the first game, since peas are NOT to the left of corn, then corn doesn't need to be in position 2, so carrots or berries can be in position 2. In the second game, since g****s are not to the left of corn, g****s CAN be next to tomatoes.

• LumosLaura
            LumosLaura commented
            Editing a comment
            testuser has it correct! These if/then statements are an example of the logical idea (in philosophical terms) of Contraposition.

So, from your example:

IF Peas are in position are placed to the left of corn, THEN (and only then) does Corn need to be in position 2. The second part of this clause is entirely dependent on the first part. This rule doesn't technically need to be followed for the problem to be solved, though.

However, since the problem also *implicitly* states "Carrots or Berries must be in position 2" then that rule must be followed. It's a direct order rather than a conditional statement like the one above.

So, since Peas are to the *right* of Corn INSTEAD of to the *left* of Corn, the second part of the conditional statement above does NOT need to be followed for the solution to be true.

Hopefully this helps to provide a bit more clarity around the game!

Thanks testuser and LumosLaura for the explanations. I understand now. In my defense, I am approaching 84 years of age, so most things confuse me these days haha!

Comment

• AnnaBanana
            AnnaBanana commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope to still be playing problem solving games when I am 84. Good on you.

• LumosLaura
            LumosLaura commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome! Ditto on AnnaBanana's comment – that's really impressive! Organic Order can be a tough game, but I hope you stick with it!
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x