Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on how to get better at Lumosity Tidal Treasures?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on how to get better at Lumosity Tidal Treasures?

I am so bad at this game. What techniques or tricks do people use? Thanks.

I've tried the "make a story with what you pick", or I pick smooth vs sharp looking objects. Creatures vs things. Alphabetical order. Picking randomly and fairly quickly and saying it seems to help me the most.

Comment

I feel you, I'm still getting various items from previous attempts confused with current attempts. There are only 3 I know of, one of which was already mentioned. At first it's better to just create a logical story in your head relating the items to each another so that you can just recall the story and see if the item is mentioned(serial memory not working memory). -Alternatively if you're more visual you can try closing your eyes and repeating that story to yourself and simulating it. The second is to understand that there are always going to be at least 3 items that you haven't clicked on beforehand. (Until you reach your 34th or 35th item; because there are only 35 items in each level) You can actually use this if you get closer to 32 items but can't really remember if you clicked on something or not, because you can click on something you know you haven't clicked before and see if what you think you haven't clicked definitely reoccurs in the next level (you'd be more sure because if it doesn't show, you definitely know that you had clicked it). -This really only works if there are only a handful of suspects. Or you can try doing that throughout the entire level to see the three you should be able to click on - but then you have to really remember your story because sometimes your instinct forgets if you clicked on something or not because you've seen it before. Towards later levels, as PC said it's good to group similar items together and actually the game in that sense gets easier in later levels as it's a lot simpler to keep track of them - provided you have seen the items before and know what to expect (the items shown in each level respectively themselves never change).
      Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 03-29-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• PaulBenne
        PaulBenne commented
        Editing a comment
        Some good tips here!

• AnnaBanana
        AnnaBanana commented
        Editing a comment
        Foolish Mortal You got a perfect game, so we'll take whatever you say as Gospel.

• Foolish Mortal
        Foolish Mortal commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha ok

I say each one in order on each screen. Like: beach ball; beach ball jump ropes (That's what I call that formation; it helps me remember to have a name for the things that look alike). Beach ball, jump rope, fat genie bottle. Also, I have to do that kind of fast to remember the growing list of objects. And I move the cursor from item to item each time - it helps me remember the sequences.

Comment

I say the name of the item as I click it. It doesn't matter what you call it. There are 3 that I have no idea what they are. I go wrong any time I click too fast when there are 20 or more because I didn't look at the whole beach. So, changing where I look really helps. On beach three, I keep track of branch coral and rainbow right and left by placing my left hand on my left or right and I wait to do these until they are both on the beach. Same with brain, fan, bars, wavy and fringe weeds.

Comment

I find that the Tidal Treasures gets better as you play. And I try not to linger. The longer I think, the more mistakes I make. I find if I relax, my brain will often choose the one that wasn't there before. Also, my technique is probably more simple categorizing. Beach 1, I often do creatures, although every now and then you have to substitute something else, like a boat, so I try to subcategorize them into beach stuff (ball, pail, trident, boat, anchor, etc). Beach 2, I notice often comes in triples - 3 jelly fish like things, 3 buoys, 3 boards, 3 crabs. After that, I have to branch out. Beach 3 is harder as many objects are the same, just mirrored image. So I try to click everything that is "left side" or everything that is "right side." I also try to keep with the same pattern - all dots or all stripes, or all shells. And, finally, it took some of the stress off to know that each Beach has a maximum of 35 objects. I hope htis helps.

Comment

I have found a new strategy which helps me remember 30-33 things in the first lot. I only pick things that have circles and I describe it as I go. Stingray circle, crab circle, bottle circle, big circle, floaty cirle, boat circle. Majority of items have circles on them. I leave non circle items for last. I can usually clear the first tide of treasures this way. As for round 2 and 3 I think I need a different strategy lol

Comment

I tried to categorize the objects. for example animal mineral or vegetable, rotational symmetry, axial symmetry, planar symmetry. do only one category before moving on to the next. but I find fast and loose works just as well and it is faster. Thinking can drag the game into a 10 or 15 minutes.

Comment

Mastered this game but it takes too long so I no longer play it. I use a story. The lobster sails the snail to the bobber and anchors above the treasure. Swims down the long seaweed to the right coral ... etc. until you have a story with 35 items. But my memory is bad, so I have to repeat the full story every time ... which takes a lot of time. Easy, but painfully long.

Comment

• pinkcat
                  pinkcat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, stories take a long time. But it produces results for those who have the time.

once you have played all three beaches, you realize the first beach is the hardest, and the only one with no tricks. everything is different, the next two beaches are easier because you have mutiples of things just diff variations. the first beach I try to save as many of the animals as I can till the end. I also try and group all the random objects with b together at once and get as many of those as possible. the more things you can chunk up and remember as a bigger group the easier it makes the overall board.

Comment

I have found that choosing the most expensive new thing works quite well

PS I always used to think that the gnome was Bert from Sesame Street.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
                    AnnaBanana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Totally agree with Bert sentiment.

My strategy for "Tidal Treasures":
                  (1) Go for categories of things (i.e., animals, plants, floating inanimate objects, shells, etc.)
                  (2) After a certain point, find the 3 items you haven't picked. If you're sure of just 1 of the 3, just pick the most certain one - whether you got the other 2 will be revealed to you in the next set of choices (i.e., unless you've gotten 32 or more correct in the round).

Comment

• azeroth
                    azeroth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with you. I also have specific "names" for each of the objects and call them out loud as I click on them.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                  My strategy for "Tidal Treasures":
                  (1) Go for categories of things (i.e., animals, plants, floating inanimate objects, shells, etc.)
                  (2) After a certain point, find the 3 items you haven't picked. If you're sure of just 1 of the 3, just pick the most certain one - whether you got the other 2 will be revealed to you in the next set of choices (i.e., unless you've gotten 32 or more correct in the round).
                  I have a similar strategy. If the phone doesn't ring, or someone doesn't talk to me, I can usually get them all. It doesn't take much to distract me into losing at least one though.

Comment

I say them aloud and usually can do them all without error. I wish they would come up with a 4th or 5th beach!

Comment

I do a very similar thing to bumpstock ! I give them "names" sort of and say them out loud. Like, "weird, triple tree" and "tug boat." Super simple, but saying their descriptive features out loud really helps!
                      Lumosity Community Manager

Comment

I name each object according to what it reminds me of and say it out loud - helps a lot.

Comment

I have made each of the 3 tries have a very different feel for me. The first is a story on/under the sea, the second is a broadway musical (picture folks in costumes and props on the stage) and the third is glass Christmas ornaments going onto the tree and I pick colors for them. This was a fairly new approach for me and made a big difference. Just made it to 35/35/33 and was kicking myself for the last goof-up.

Comment

• raisedbyrats
                            raisedbyrats commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well done!

• LumosLaura
                            LumosLaura commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I love this! Super creative I especially like the Broadway musical one!
                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x