Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Lumosity Raindrops?

I am increasing my LPI at most games, except for 'Rain Drops' which is a disaster. I blame this on the fact that I never fully learnt my tables as a kid(!), so my mental arithmetic is shocking. I was at a particularly bad school and even though I hadn't passed all my tests at the time the teachers just moved on without bothering to check I'd learnt them. (Good excuse huh?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve? (I am in my mid 30's so it's probably time I did something about this!). Do you think playing Rain Drops itself will actually improve my multiplication (i.e over time I will gradually go from having to calculate the answer in my head to just knowing it instinctively). If not, can anyone point me at some other good resources that will help me improve my mental arithmetic.

Thank you.

Do you have an iPhone or Android? There's an app called MATH WORKOUT that seriously helped me improve.

Few weeks ago when I started out, I was getting 1400 LPI; and just last night I hit 1700. That's a huge improvement for me.

You'll practice add/sub or multi/div however you want on varying difficulties. There's other modes too where you practice solving all kinds of problems in you head or even just your multiplication tables. I know it sounds crazy, but it actually starts to become fun when you're trying not to make any mistakes and beat your last time.

Get the PRO version. It's only $2 and you get all the features. Improve those problem solving skills, yo!

Comment

Play on a computer, preferably one with a numpad. The phone keypad is too small for accurate typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        Do you have an iPhone or Android? There's an app called MATH WORKOUT that seriously helped me improve.

Few weeks ago when I started out, I was getting 1400 LPI; and just last night I hit 1700. That's a huge improvement for me.

You'll practice add/sub or multi/div however you want on varying difficulties. There's other modes too where you practice solving all kinds of problems in you head or even just your multiplication tables. I know it sounds crazy, but it actually starts to become fun when you're trying not to make any mistakes and beat your last time.

Get the PRO version. It's only $2 and you get all the features. Improve those problem solving skills, yo!
        Thanks. That looks really good. I just installed it on my iPhone and I'll definitely give it a try for a few games everyday over the coming weeks to see if it helps.

So far, I've discovered a couple of other iOS Apps that I've been trying:

Math Plus - quite good but expensive to buy the whole app Mencal - challenging but doesn't seem so helpful in actually helping you learn King of Math - Also not bad My Times Tables - Good but very kid focused

Math Workout seems to be exactly what I was looking for though! I.e. It automatically adjusts based on your level and gets more difficult as you improve.

Comment

• Evan
          Evan commented
          Editing a comment
          How are you playing the actual game? Do you click or use the number pad? Using the number pad greatly increases the rate that you can enter numbers. I usually keep my left hand poised over the backspace to quickly delete numbers when I incorrectly type.

If you have particular problem with a certain operation, you can do the specific game for it, whether it be addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. I too have used Math Workout (I used that before discovering Lumosity) and it's fun.

The only way to get good at this game is to play as often as possible. Doing math improves math skills.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that multiplication/division and addition/subtraction for numbers below fourteen or so is mostly a rote memorization problem. Rain Drops uses four operations, maybe you could try practicing with the storm games to work one operator (multiplication storm) at a time?

Comment

• LumosLaura
            LumosLaura commented
            Editing a comment
            Those games are currently "unavailable." However, if you write to us at Lumosity.com/help, we're more than happy to add a special tag to your account which allows you to access all of our older games

- Lumosity Community Manager

• DirkFrances
            DirkFrances commented
            Editing a comment
            LumosLaura Thanks for the info! It's great to have someone here with high level knowledge!

I never learned mine either! And I was a cash controller at my retail job, go figure.

Comment

I use both hands on the key pad for the lap top, I don't know if that would confuse most people or make it easier, but if you already know your math, the next thing you would try and get faster at is typing in the numbers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x