No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started playing this

I am liking it a lot. A bit similar to Editor's choice, but requires more thinking.

I am liking it more and more.

Comment

Can anyone help me remember the correct order for the humid/inclement/mild and brusque/tight-lipped/discreet ones? I only get them right by luck or process of elimination, as the definitions don't seem helpful to me.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
        AnnaBanana commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd say mild/humid/inclement and tight-lipped/discreet/brusque.

Assuming that's correct, how would I remember it? I'm from Houston, where it's humid pretty much every day. I consider it mild weather because the times it's not humid it's too cold for me, so humid = mild, not humid = not mild. Inclement doesn't even live in the same ballpark as mild or humid, which is what confuses me, I think.

Kind of the same on the other: I can see tight-lipped going with discreet because they're both referring to the content of your communication, but brusque is a way of talking, not the content of what you're saying, so it doesn't fit with the others to me.

I'm off to see whether you're correct.

Comment

You're right on brusque, but they say that mild is the opposite of inclement, with humid in the middle.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
          AnnaBanana commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn't that how I stated it? I guess you'll just have to accept living in Houston. On the other, to me tight-lipped = silent and discreet is choosing words carefully.

And brusque is using few words, in a rude manner, or "short." I'm not sure how that's comparable to discreet, which can also be not mentioning anything about a topic, which is closer to tight-lipped.

Comment

But what is "mild" to you? To me it's a temperature, whereas inclement necessarily includes a "weather event" as they call them now: some sort of storm. Humid is in neither of those categories, so I can't place them on a continuum.

Comment

Whoa...old thread!

I sometimes think the answer provided is incorrect. You need to read the meanings of the words carefully and try again, otherwise you will make the same mistake or another mistake and lose points.

Comment

Then they have premeditated/impromptu/precipitate, with the definitions being:
              Premeditated - planned in advance (especially a crime)
              impromptu - done without being planned
              precipitate - done suddenly without consideration

I would have said "done without being planned" was the furthest you could get from "planned in advance," but Lumosity disagrees. Of course I see the last two definitions as functionally synonymous, so it's another one I'll have to memorize: an impromptu sandwich on "pre" bread, maybe.

Comment

• PaulBenne
                PaulBenne commented
                Editing a comment
                First, it's strange for them to say "planned in advance." It's redundant. Impromptu can be done after some consideration, but sans planning.

I love Continuum, but I always get the same word groups over and over again, so I've involuntarily memorized the solutions. I think Lumosity needs massively expand the words groups to keep people playing this game.

Comment

• pinkcat
                pinkcat commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, me too. The set of word groups seem rather small?

Oh, they say humid/mild/inclement and TL/discreet/brusque.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
                AnnaBanana commented
                Editing a comment
                At least I got one right...
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x