Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to Train of Thought!

I know others have written about the addictive quality of the Lumosity Train of Thought game. I have become so addicted that I have pretty much given up reading and I love to read. I am retired so the time isn't really an issue. It's just that I see trains when I close my eyes. Seriously! I may have to go to train games anonymous. Just got awarded 50 trains. Does anyone know how high it goes as I am telling myself if I peak out I could quit. That happened to me on the cafe. Some I am so lousy at they don't seem to have the addictive quality. Anyway just curious if anyone else is in this crazy predicament.

Just finished my evening dose of "Trains" and saw your note. Like you I finally got to level 14 and 50 trains. I think I saw a note when I did it that there are no more levels, but I have noticed that when I get 49 or 50 there is usually an out of 51 or 52 showing. So I guess we can at least get to 52 with our obsession.

Comment

Oh yeah, just as you say. Terribly addictive ("just one more quick game . . . "), and if I play before bedtime, I, too, see the trains in my head when I close my eyes. I don't know how high it goes. On my computer, when I do badly it knocks me down a notch (fewer trains next time). But on the iPad, it seems like once I get to a higher level (due to a fluke of dumb luck), I'm stuck there, beyond hope of ever keeping up with that many trains. Have others who play on multiple devices noticed that?

Comment

• pinkcat
        pinkcat commented
        Editing a comment
        I even tried letting them all just run, for a score of zero, and am still stuck with more trains than I want. Within one level, if that makes sense -- if I go back down to the lower number at the start, it's too much easier. I just want fewer trains at my top level, like I get on the computer.

~58 Trains - 2000 LPI; 90 Trains - Cap (If you hit 90 with your addiction, you'd be joining as one of three people in the world that've made it publicly known (you being the 3rd). Personally I just got around ~60 and said meh good enough, time to head towards other games. Time's too precious.

Comment

Yes I am totally addicted to the Train game too, and yes I too used to be a big reader but now despair of getting beyond my addiction to do the things i used to do!!! terrible. i managed to give up ToT for about 3 months and was happier, but then took it up again........

Comment

Why is it so addictive? In another post somewhere in this community, I recall reading that Lumosity hired a top digital games designer to make this game more attractive / addictive. Do you notice that some games are easier and some games are harder?

It seems to me that after I get a high score on an easier game, they will give me a harder game ..... I suspect that the choice of games works to some algorithm that makes you keep playing. I noticed that my hopes goes up when I get a high score, so I play again ...... and if I get a low score, I want to play again with the determination to do better next time.

I think the game designer knows the psychology of addiction and uses it to maximum advantage.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

This addiction is more serious than what people seem to think. In fact it is interfering with a lot more than just my reading. I have an active social life and do a lot of volunteering work. So...you may be saying that I seem very busy and what is the problem? Well the problem is that all the time or most of the time that I am doing other things I really want to be playing trains. It's like a haze over my life.

Comment

• HappyKlown
              HappyKlown commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you remove Lumosity from your phone? and get a Kiindle to keep on your person........ (LOL). When I went cold turkey i just decided very clearly that the only time I would play the trains is if I get them in my daily training. And no more. What happened over that 3 months was I explored more Lumosity games thereby getting much more variety in brain exercise.

That is a good suggestion HappyKlown. Thank you. I will go cold turkey. Maybe a month or two of no Train of Thought will cleanse my mind. Out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

I relate to every post here. I also only play train of thought when it's offered in my daily training which averages 2-3/month. I am at 47 trains. Feel good to not be alone in the addiction that is train of thought.

Comment

Hi, my name is Gore and I am a Train of Thought addict.

I've only been playing Lumosity for about two and a half months, Train of Thought and Pet Detective have taken up a large percentage of that time. I haven't got past level 13/44 trains yet, so I do need to put in some time when play it. If I only played 2 or 3 games at a time I'd never improve my train count as this game has proven to be difficult for me. I play several other games during each session, but I always end up going back to TOT for "just one more game".

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, so there is hope us all.

Comment

Another one obsessed with Train of Thought here.

I am on Level 13, and can't seem to do better than 45 out of 47. Will keep trying.

Comment

Oops, the post above is by me. Forgot to log in.

Comment

And I just made it to Level 14! Squee!

Comment

• Evan
                        Evan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's awesome. Congrats!

• Anna Baptist
                        Anna Baptist commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Evan. Holy cow, Level 14 is hard! My scores are very low, so far. I am going to have to practice a lot.

• pinkcat
                        pinkcat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good job Anna.

I'm going insane

Comment

Well, my Train of Thought addiction has been going full force since before Christmas. I've forced myself to play some of the other games, but quickly came back to ToT.
                        I continually played level 13 until I was able to get 45 - 47 trains almost every time.
                        Going into level 14 I was still lucky to get more than 40 trains. After A LOT of practice I finally made it to the upper 40's and lower 50's, scoring my best at 54 on three different occasions.
                        Today, I hit 56... My goal is 60, so I'm very happy with my progress.

Well, it's been 10 minutes, I better get back to the trains... I'm having withdrawals.

Comment

• pinkcat
                          pinkcat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well done with 56. I am stuck on 55.

• Gore
                          Gore commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you pinkcat.

• pinkcat
                          pinkcat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Have you managed to beat 56, Gore?

• Gore
                          Gore commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I hit 58 one time just a few days ago.
                          I've hit 56 a few times, but lately my best has been 52 - 55.

My best stat is 60 but does anyone else find that sometimes the trains go much faster?

Comment

• pinkcat
                          pinkcat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, I've noticed this myself. But only sometimes, not always. Congrats on reaching 60.

Should also say that my addiction to this game is becoming so worrying!

Comment

This may sound like "sour g****s" but this has happened often enough that I'm pretty sure of it. Once a train comes out of the station, I have seen the color actually change so it is impossible to get a train into the correct station if the "changed" color should have taken a different track. Also, I think I've seen a new train inserted so the same theory applies. I'm also addicted. I've never done 14 but I show 14 trains so I have probably done 13. I'm really curious if anyone else has noticed the different color (or added train) while they are playing.

Comment

• Evan
                            Evan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think you may have a point. Sometimes I am certain that my trains are going into the right station, so I change my focus to other trains, only to hear the beep and see the x because the trains went into the wrong station. Not sure if it is a bug or something with the game, but I am fairly certain that the trains were headed for the right station.

• DirkFrances
                            DirkFrances commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah, I believe that it happens.

Originally posted by PaulBenne View Post
                          Just finished my evening dose of "Trains" and saw your note. Like you I finally got to level 14 and 50 trains. I think I saw a note when I did it that there are no more levels, but I have noticed that when I get 49 or 50 there is usually an out of 51 or 52 showing. So I guess we can at least get to 52 with our obsession.
                          I'm addicted to the train game is well. My highest score is 71 trains. I try not to play it as much.

Comment

My addiction is paying off!
                            Finally reached my goal of 60 trains today!
                            I think if I can get another 60 trains I'll have a 2000 LPI, then maybe I can get back to some of other games I've been ignoring... Maybe

Comment

• AnnaBanana
                              AnnaBanana commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Congrats!
                          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Smile :) Big Grin :D Frown :( Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x