Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level 160!

A drum roll please - I just made 160 in Star Search, thanks to my Mentor in all things Star Search, Roland. 15 months I have been at this.

I'm stuck at 120. I like the game but can't seem to get any faster. I still find the rotating ones hard.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
      AnnaBanana commented
      Editing a comment
      Roland, would you explain to this user, what you explained to me, please? You would be able to tell them about the rotating images much better than I. Thanks.

• Roland
      Roland commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay Anna, I will give it a try... Hi guest, Anna asked me to give you a "tip" for the Star Search game that I gave her with the rotating shapes.... I basically told her that what may help is to visualize the odd shape like gears - when gears rotate next to each other they turn in the opposite direction... so in your mind try to group the shapes that rotate in the same direction but that odd one is like that gear.

If you are not acquainted with gears then think of rotating two coins next to each other.... one will always turn in the opposite direction to the other coin. I hope that this helps you out...

Anna, you are the definitely the boss! Well done!

Comment

Congratulations. Persistence pays off!

Comment

this is my favorite game, except when things are circling, then I can't tell the difference - lol

Comment

• AnnaBanana
          AnnaBanana commented
          Editing a comment
          Read Roland's explanation, with a little practice, it made the world of difference to me. One thing I do sometimes, when shapes are spinning, I let my eyes unfocus and often I can pick out the shape spinning in the opposite direction. Let me tell you, I don't get it right every time but often enough to have risen from 120 to 160 in the past few months. Watch your timing, because it sneaks up on you - if you haven't gained a point from where you were, bow out before the end - others you keep going up and down in the scoring. My favorite, but frustrating, game, btw.

.. Congratulations! I still can't find the one turning in the opposite direction.

Comment

Good job Anna

Comment

Thank you, Anna and Roland. I remember you mentioning the gears before and it certainly helps me to spot the odd one out - but it's a very conscious working out rather than an instant recognition and that is slowing me down. I do have a problem in real life with clockwise and anti-clockwise............

Comment

• Roland
              Roland commented
              Editing a comment
              You are most welcome, it does take some getting used to... sometimes a little mental rhyme helps like... "Lefty-Loosey and Righty-tighty"

Love that game ( but could practice more...) I also find the rotating items much more difficult to spot.. I've always had a problem with left-right (and am ambidextrous and use both hands equally good, but struggle with movements like dancing).

Comment

Originally posted by raisedbyrats View Post
              Love that game ( but could practice more...) I also find the rotating items much more difficult to spot.. I've always had a problem with left-right (and am ambidextrous and use both hands equally good, but struggle with movements like dancing).
              Please share the left/right exercise. You don't have to go into the NLP (neuro linguistic programming) part of it, but I would love to be able to give/take directions without pointing being involved.

Comment

• raisedbyrats
                raisedbyrats commented
                Editing a comment
                I absolutely don't understand what you say to me here. Are you talking about you or are you talking about what I ought or ought not do? I am Norwegian native and English third or fourth... When I translate... this comes out a bit nasty. And I suppose not intended?

raisedbyrats Not intended at all. You stated " I've always had a problem with left-right ... I learned an exercise in NLP (neuro linguistic programming) which helped a lot with this; suddenly I was able to tell left and right. " I just asked you to tell us about the exercise you learned because I have a lot of trouble with left & right also.

It would be interesting in a linguistic sense to figure out where the translation turned unpleasant, but that's a different topic.

Thank you for asking to get it cleared up.

Comment

• raisedbyrats
                raisedbyrats commented
                Editing a comment
                It was two problems related to movement and coordination. Maybe I needed to catch up on things not done properly to wire my brand as a toddler; I did not crawl... (I walked and climbed fine ) I had a lazy eye and hard to get the left hand/right leg operate smoothly together (dancing, skiing...) And almost always got left and right wrong!

Exercise was simple: 3 minutes once or twice a day of very slow and coordinated "crawl" One must set down (opposite) hand and knee at the same time, it's about smooth movement and balance, no need to gain terrain... Try to follow the floor as close as you can with all limbs. It worked superbly for me- better eye was an unexpected bonus, and I usually get it right the first time now with the words left-right now. (handy when learning to fly, my instructor also took it calmly, he just said; "the other right, please..." )

I'm at 140 and holding for a short while

Comment

raisedbyrats Yes, when giving or receiving directions while driving pointing is the rule for me, especially if it has to be done /right now/, when I have no time to fall back on secondary connections like which hand I write with.

Comment

• raisedbyrats
                  raisedbyrats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After 3 weeks with the coordination exercise for about 3 minutes I notes great improvements. And I suppose you like me have some benefits of the both "right hands" too.. I was conductor for a while, when sewing with hand I just swop hand when practical, and it's generally easy to do two things at the same time with both hands.. Flipside is the right hand on the arrow keys in some of the games, as I more often than not hit the wrong direction... a pen-tablet works better

raisedbyrats I won't be able to do the exercise as I'm more or less paralyzed on my left side--which you'd think would make left/right easy to remember. Not so; it just gives me one more secondary connection I can use. Thank you for explaining it, though. I can use it to help others who are similarly afflicted.

Comment

Good for you, but a word of caution. Don't convince yourself you're at your limit. You may plateau for a while and then find yourself moving again. I know I did. In fact, I seem to be there again. Just keep working!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Wink ;) Smile :) Big Grin :D Frown :( Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x