No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bewildered!

I don't get this game at all. I can do the tutorials when it has the steady drum-like sound, but I have no idea how to do it in the game proper when it plays music.

In the screen with the circle of pink dots, press J to sync with the beat of the music. The beats are aligned with the position of the location of the pink dots. Press J when the beat falls on a pink dot. In the spaces that don't have a pink dot, don't press J when the beat falls on them.
    Last edited by pinkcat; 09-28-2018, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Pinkcat.I get the principle and can do it in the tutorials. However when I go the game itself, there is no regular drum beat, just more varied music. I don't know how to find the right beats in the music.

Comment

Hi Guest.

Firstly, at the start of each round, you should hear a regular ticking simultaneously accompanied by a flickering of a pink dot. This is how you can determine the beat. As soon as you press J, the regular ticking stops and it is up to you to continue clicking J to the beat.

Secondly, there are specific tones / instruments that repeat themselves...you might hear a sequence of 4 consecutive tones that keep repeating. That is how you can also determine the beat - the beat is aligned with the tones, so try clicking J at the first tone, and if that doesn't work, try at another tone.

You determine the beat by recognizing patterns in the music.

Comment

• Gore
          Gore commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like we posted almost simultaneously.

I'm having trouble hearing patterns in the music at the levels progress.
          Maybe it's supposed to be be that way ... ??? It certainly does make it much more difficult along with patterns getting more complicated.

Maybe I need to give it a better listen, it could just be me.

You won't hear any drum beats when you're actually playing the game. You make the sound of them yourself as you're playing. The music is supposed to help you keep the rhythm.

I personally think the music could be better. It can be helpful in the first few levels, but I find it distracting in the higher levels. In my opinion, the sound could be mixed better too. You're definitely better off using ear buds on this one.

I'm still a newbie, so I'm going on limited knowledge here... From what I've seen, Lumosity sets these Early Access games up so that a feedback page comes up at some point. It came up very early into the game for me, so I'm really hoping to see it again. After playing for some time now, I think I have much more useful feedback to give.

Comment

Thanks, Dirk & Gore.

Originally posted by DirkFrances View Post
          Hi Guest.
          the beat is aligned with the tones, so try clicking J at the first tone, and if that doesn't work, try at another tone.
          Ah ... I hadn't notic d that, and I don't think it was mentioned in the (rather skimpy) instructions for the game. I'll go back and see if I can spot those tones.

I notice that y'all are talking about hitting J - I guess that's how it behave on a real computer or the website, right? I use this from my phone, so I just tap on the screen.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
            AnnaBanana commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, playing on the website requires pressing J. I don't have Feel The Best in my Lumosity phone app.

How's everyone been feelin' the beat?

I'm no drummer, that's for sure. Level 7 and 8 were very difficult for me.
          I'm currently on level 9 and it's really getting interesting now, to say the least.

Comment

• Evan
            Evan commented
            Editing a comment
            I am at level 4.

• pinkcat
            pinkcat commented
            Editing a comment
            Level 2. This game doesn't really appeal to me so I hardly play it.

• Roland
            Roland commented
            Editing a comment
            I also got to level 9, but haven't touched it since.

• CarlosTheJackal
            CarlosTheJackal commented
            Editing a comment
            I am at 8 =)

i too am bewildered by this game. i have trouble connecting the music with the requirement to press keys at the correct time intervals. the music seems to have nothing to do with what is going on with the F/J on the circle. I'm at level 6 and pretty much stuck there for a while. on some other games, which make more sense to me, I can get to the maximum level by being careful and concentrating. that does not seem to work with this one. is there an explanation for the relationship between the music and the timing of pressing the keys? or should i do my own counting, which seems to defeat the purpose of the game. what do you think the point of this game is?

Comment

• Evan
            Evan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi rjb!! Welcome to the community!

I think once you get beyond the lower levels, the game starts to become incomprehensible.

• AnnaBanana
            AnnaBanana commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi rjb.

Nonetheless, I will try to comprehend this game and all the others when possible. i can tell you something about Train of Thought - this one has a very useful feedback. the secret to this game is to think fast and pay attention quickly. Never lose your attention to the multiple details. The feedback gives you some other easy to follow rules. Not easy to do when you're not fully awake but it works without fail if you can do it. That's two simple rules for that game. i am looking for similar advice about Feel the Beat.

Comment

• testuser
            testuser commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for sharing your tips for Train of Thought.

More tips, hope you find this helpful:
          Game Type tips
          Speed Match Speed Even though this is a speed game, don't go too fast. there is no penalty for mistakes, but each mistake costs you a correct response. when you make a mistake, there is a natural tendency to stop for a very short time as it feels "bad." ignore this if possible and do not let a mistake slow you down.
          Highway Hazards Speed There is a definite penalty for making a mistake. there are three kinds of mistakes:
          • Hitting another car (this is the worst)
          • Hitting an oil slick (very difficult to avoid but easy to avoid going through the complete slick)
          • Hitting an obstacle (easy to avoid - just switch lanes and switch back quickly).
          Sometimes, obstacles are placed so that avoiding one puts you right into another one. these are difficult to see because they are not consistent and things happen quickly.
          Recommended technique:
          • Pick one lane as your home lane and move into other lanes as needed, going back to your home lane as soon as possible.
          • Don't try to completely avoid the slicks as there is often not enough advance notice.
          • Try not to hit other cars, as this incurs the worst penalty.
          Train of Thought Attention/divided This game has a feedback function (Related Insights) that gives good advice.
          The first train is always the one for the level you are on.
          It's very important to never lose focus.
          Anticipating as much as possible helps. this is called 'planning early' in the feedback. in this game, the feedback tells you that 'planning' is defined as anticipating where the trains need to go.
          Assist Ants Attention/divided It's very important to never lose focus and to keep surveying all of the ants repeatedly and quickly. speed is important.
          Rhythm Revolution Attention/Timing Best to be wide awake when doing this one. i do much better at 11am than 7am.
          Feel the Beat Attention/Timing I have not figured out what to do with the music. i am coming to the conclusion that it is best to ignore it and do your own counting of the timing between key presses.
          Masterpiece Problem solving You need to be patient and figure out possibilities in advance of doing anything because every move you make costs you points. the purpose of this game is to get you to visualize possibilities without actually doing them, and a trial-and-error approach is certainly possible but defeats the purpose of the game, and you lose its benefits.

Comment

• testuser
            testuser commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for sharing your tips with us.