Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of Lumosity LPI? Percentile?

I'm fairly new to Lumosity, only about a month and a half. And yes I can see improvement. But I have to question the percentile numbers. I have for various reasons taken several IQ tests with the average being about 135. So I wasn't surprised with initial percentile numbers in the top 50%.

But I have to question these percentile numbers. Initially LPI 1596, Speed 1376, Memory 1782, Attention 1650, Flexibility 1354, Problem Solving 1682.

After today's session, LPI 1924, Speed 1824, Memory 1936, Attention 1922, Flexibility 1840, Problem Solving 1960.

That's some high numbers and a lot of improvement. I'm 68. Don't get me wrong. I like playing the games. I keep track of what my Top 5 scores are on ALL of them. I have to say I'm skeptical about the numbers. Either 1. There are a lot of people who are really needing to improve their brain functions. 2. Lumosity is padding the numbers and blowing smoke. OR (Not very likely) 3. I was pretty darn smart to start off with and I'm in the Einstein class now.

How about you?

I personally think it's pretty accurate.

For you, I believe your age is the issue. The site is only comparing your scores to other 65-75 year olds. The problem with that is there is probably not enough people in that age group using the site. If there are 5 million users 20-30, I'd guess only 500 thousand in 65-75.

My parents, and many other people I know in your age bracket, use the Internet for Facebook, email, and very little else. They are not even aware that a site like lumosity exists.

Try something if you want, when looking at your Lumosity percentile, try lowering your age bracket to 45-55 or whatever. You should drop a bit, but it will probably be more accurate to what you really are if more people played in your real bracket.

Comment

Assuming an error rate as high as 4X statistical statement in the upper bounds (1900s) would be a pretty safe bet. ~5 points roughly speaking.

Comment

Hi Guest. If, by "accuracy", you mean a correlation between Intelligence and LPI, then there is an existing topic about that here.

I treat LPI as Lumosity's own scoring system for its games, not an indication of intelligence. There may be a correlation, but that is not what the score is supposed to represent. For example, getting a high score in pac-man does not indicate much, outside of pac-man. The scores only have significance within the scope of the games that they represent. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Comment

LPI is pure BS. I nailed "Top 5 Score" on all 5 games after a 5 week break from Lumosity?? My LPI WENT DOWN?? They reward how often you play, not how well you perform

Comment

• HappyKlown
            HappyKlown commented
            Editing a comment
            My impression of how Lumosity affects my life is how regular play makes for deep changes, while high scores say more about how I am today.

HappyKlown, what about when I poured myself into it for a few weeks when I was off work...multiple times per day...progressively improving game scores. Still no LPI increase

Comment

• HappyKlown
            HappyKlown commented
            Editing a comment
            If I am not mistaken, a long time ago, the LPI score was only based upon the training series. If you try to do the training series more than once in 24 hours, it gives an error message about how training is a marathon not a sprint. I don't know what the answer to your situation. Might be a bug with your account or something. Contact Lumosity, they may be able to rectify it.

I am sort of wondering about the people that are older than I and right at the top of the ladder in percentiles.I just figure I have matured to a certain point at the age of 86 and there I stay. Lumosity is not the same as it was when I first started. I can't remember when that was and can't figure out how to look it up.!!!

Comment

My LPI percentile doesn't add up right. My LPI is in the 92.7th percentile, yet the average percentile of all my individual percentiles would put me in approx the 88th percentile. Or don't percentiles work that way???

Comment

• pinkcat
              pinkcat commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that LPI can be averaged (and from that a percentile can be established). But it doesn't make sense to me how individual percentiles can be averaged. So to answer your question, I don't think that percentiles work that way.

Hi pinkcat, can you please explain why individual percentiles can't be averaged? Thank you.

Comment

• pinkcat
              pinkcat commented
              Editing a comment
              What I am really saying is that it makes no sense to me that percentiles can be averaged, because to me, percentiles are not real numbers - they just show how one compares to another. It doesn't make sense to me how comparisons can be averaged. An LPI is a real number because it is a score.I could be wrong, but I really don't know how to explain it any better.

lpi is a tool. if you want it to be a goal, something to work towards like foolish mortal did of getting to 2000, it's something to work towards. if it's something you need for motivation to train your brain, then it's that. somebody will always have a higher lpi, a higher high score, so there really isn't any sense in putting a ton of stock in it. whatever works for you, and makes you feel like you are making progress do it. I can guarantee that people with these insane scores, including me have reset the game a million times without recording a final score, or play it on mute so you cannot hear the final countdown, or find some other way to manipulate the game to get a higher score, therefore it's all moot. those of you who have played them to play them, and it's helping your brain, I say keep at it and congratulations.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
              AnnaBanana commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said, kiwi!

• Evan
              Evan commented
              Editing a comment
              What is your LPI now?

• kiwi1001
              kiwi1001 commented
              Editing a comment
              its been almost a year since I've played any games on Lumosity, but when I was logging in and playing daily, my lpi was anywhere from 1902-1906

• kiwi1001
              kiwi1001 commented
              Editing a comment
              thank you anna

I am in the 98th percentile for my age group (60-64) !

my scores have plateaued at around 1400

Comment

My hubby is in 92% for his age group (74). I have Multiple Sclerosis and it effects my cognitive thinking, so my score is very low. These games are the same as the test I took for my neurological testing.

Comment

I'm slightly younger (50-54) and am in the 99th percentile. I don't seem to vary much on my games any more - seem to get scores in the "top 5" but don't get too many "bests" anymore. I've now dropped down to playing 3 times a week as opposed to daily. Oh, and my account preferences are set to "advanced" vs "standard."

Comment

t would seem to me that Lumosity awards you more points or what have you for how many times you play the games, not necessarily how many times you do well??? (Although I suppose doing well in the games plays a small factor as well). I could be wrong, but I'm in the 96.5 percentile for Flexibility because I was constantly playing the games in that particular category. What do you think? Am I wrong?

Comment

• CarlosTheJackal
                    CarlosTheJackal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you look in your top 5 list for the particular flexibility game you are playing you can see your highest scores. I try to repeat playing the same game until I get in the top 5. as your score increase it becomes harder to get on the top 5. You have to remember that it is not just the high score but it is like any other exercise to keep in shape. Hope my thoughts help.

• HappyKlown
                    HappyKlown commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think you are wrong. It sort of makes sense that playing more results in better scores.
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x