Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to improve Lumosity speed and attention?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve Lumosity speed and attention?

Does anyone have any tips for speed and attention? They are my lowest attributes. But no matter how much I play these games, my game scores stay the same or worsen in some cases.

When I have time to play more than my daily session, what I usually do is just move my fingers in the arrows, not minding if what I am clicking is correct or not. I do that just to un-stiff my fingers. (I hope I explained myself. English is not my mother tongue).

Comment

• AnnaBanana
      AnnaBanana commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense.

One thing I am trying right now is to have a distraction for all games (except memory). This allows me to play more instinctively rather than over thinking things. My penguin pursuit score skyrocketed doing this. The only time I lose is when I start thinking about it and make mistakes.

Your English is terrific, I never would have guessed.

What do you mean by having a distraction for all games? I´ve improved with the penguin, but need more.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
      AnnaBanana commented
      Editing a comment
      Like I'll have a tv show in the background. And part of my brain is paying attention to the tv show instead of the game at hand. It sounds counter-productive, but it's something I learned a long time ago playing video games.

I would play my video game and do okay, or even good. But if I was talking on the telephone, and not "thinking" about what I was doing in the video game, I would do amazing. My brain was so used to playing the game that it didn't need my conscious decision making, in fact that conscious decision making was slowing down my reaction times.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. But you have to have the rules memorized for it to work. If you don't know the rules you'd do horrible obviously.

I had previously mentioned that I am not convinced that brain training can improve cognitive abilities beyond what is in a person's DNA. At some pont, you will reach a peak, and the only way from there is down.

If your specific aim is to increase your LPI, there are some ways to game the system. For some games, playing with a keyboard gets better results. Pushing a button is quicker than swiping a phone. For some attention games, such as Playing Koi, Train of Thought and Trouble Brewing, playing on a phone gets better results because your field of view is small and all the objects are close together. Try playing those games on a 30 inch monitor and you'd probably have to rotate your head, or swivel your eyes.

Personally, I play Lumosity to keep my brain active. I think striving for high scores leads to frustration and disappointment. Play Lumosity for fun for a few decades and your brain will still be good in your old age.

Comment

Which speed games are you trying to improve in? I personally enjoy listening to music that pump me up while playing games; also, temporarily worsened scores are normal due to the nature of the learning curve, just don't try to move backwards during improvement; that is be scared of the sudden drop in change and try to revert back to how you were completing the task. It's also helpful to try to do as much as you can during experimentation so you don't end up getting lost. Once you have something weird just sleep on it, tactile memories benefit most from being used ~1hour prior to sleep. Exercising might be useful to jumpstart innovative connections, intensity of practice for multiple days have benefited me the most I think, but you've already stated you work hard at them. Doing something else alongside speed games is an interesting concept, you're likely striking on the concept of flow. -I've personally experienced this while hitting the 110s in speed match. It's when you have a certain amount of "bits" of information you can work with and so at some point instead of using some of those "bits" to perceive what and how you're doing, you're using all those "bits" to actually do it and can't perceive yourself doing it at a certain point. If you're seeking a distraction to allow this process more easily, I'd suggest finding a distraction that doesn't interfere with the cognitive processes required for the task. Things that interfere may still serve as a useful way to create a triggering mechanism though.

I personally wouldn't worry about DNA and genetic limits, it's impossible to tell where they actually are anyhow, I'm personally a believer that the talents of today were forged by the efforts of yesterday (whether that actually be yesterday, a month ago, or the previous generation). Especially with the advent of hidden strands which have been discovered way back.

https://youtu.be/CYDP_8UTAus

There's also intermittent fasting to consider to temporarily raise ketone levels in which learning&retention may temporarily be heightened during which period you can make the gains to hold onto when you're off fasting.
      Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 07-12-2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• AnnaBanana
        AnnaBanana commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! Thanks for all the info FM! Subscribed!

And also, I am trying to improve on all of the speed games. Your suggestion about listening to music to pump yourself up is a good one.

• Foolish Mortal
        Foolish Mortal commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy to have been able to help!

• pinkcat
        pinkcat commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too. If I had known about subscriptions earlier, I would have subbed ages ago!

• Foolish Mortal
        Foolish Mortal commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd honestly sub to everyone if it wasn't so bothersome to do so

• Evan
        Evan commented
        Editing a comment
        I just follow the crowd! Subbed!

I was working on speed too, my speed is at 70.3 percentile for my age group - I had been working on the theory of improving my speed by improving my reaction time to visual and auditory stimulus - you can find various reaction timing apps for your mobile. My thinking is the faster you can react to a visual stimuls, the faster your speed will be as not to be slowed by slow reaction times.

Comment

Nothing worse than playing a game trying to increase you LPI or percentile on that game, and you keep matching your high score and/or your top 5 scores are all exactly the same - its like you've hit what you are humanly capable of.

So I wrote to Lumosity support, they recommended playing 'related' games. For example if you are trying to increase your speed, play some of the other speed games. Or even some games that are not listed under speed, but still require speed. For example Migration is not listed under speed, but clearly can improve your speed.

The idea being improving at related games can increase your ability, potentially allowing you to break your plateau.

Comment

I would try stretches for your hands and wrists. I would also try reflex tests to try and get your reflexes faster. a lot of the speed games are just basic recognition and repetition.

Comment

• kiwi1001
          kiwi1001 commented
          Editing a comment
          oh yes also, you can get a new mouse, and a faster computer and internet connection lol, I also found the spacing on my arrow keys and keyboard made a huge difference in lap tops. one had the normal spacing for the arrow keys, and my new one they are a lot closer together and it was a big adjustment for my fingers.
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x