Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly reputable memory game: N-back

So this has a lot of support in being able to improve working memory; you may have heard of it, but it's pretty obscure so I'm throwing it out there. It's completely free and the developers made it a few years back and tried to make sure anyone can have access to it regardless of social status, etc. -Basically, there's no incentive in them getting you to try it and there's a lot of proof that it seems to work, I've personally found it helpful. It challenges auditory, visual, and tactile memories simultaneously and in relation within a specific timeframe.

Check it out: http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/download.html

I think I read somewhere (perhaps the Lumosity blog) that Memory Match and Memory Match Overdrive are variations of N-back.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      That may be so, they're both related to working memory; n-back is leagues above memory match imo that they're not even comparable. -Improving from memory match to memory match overdrive is a better equivalent to improving in n-back than improving in memory match to higher memory match scores. That's not even including the addition of auditory memory. And that's all only from the first level to the second O_O.

• PaulBenne
      PaulBenne commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I'll give N-back a shot. Thanks for sharing.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Np, lmk how it works out for you sir.

• PaulBenne
      PaulBenne commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I've just downloaded the game to my computer. That is a good start! Will test it out in the next few days. Instructions say "Aim for 20 sessions per day (about 25 minutes), 4 or 5 times per week." Not sure if I can have that much time each day, but I'll give it a go for a week.

I've also heard that N-back good for improving memory. Memory Lane (Lumosity) also challenges visual and auditory memory. It's closer to N-back than Memory Matrix.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, it does indeed seem that the higher levels in memory lane are identical to N-back; the only difference being the magnitude of trials asked and lowered accuracy for a pass requirement. I honestly had no idea that so many of lumosity's classic games used N-back O_O.

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      It's too bad Memory Lane is such a poorly conceived game (imo). The mechanics of the game are confusing, and the poor design does not help.

Face Memory Workout specifically refers to N-back in the actual game. The game automatically scales up to dual N-back at higher scores.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you're right! I just started playing the classic lumosity games yesterday: but it focuses more on speed than the magnitude of working memory. I got to the last workout and it just goes (1-back, 2-back, 3-back, 1-back, 2-back, 3-back, 3-back). It only covers the first and second level in the n-back game. (you start at 2-back) That said, the classic lumosity games are really great, I'm about to get involved in 10 of them aside from the word bubble variants: space junk's my favorite .

@FM Yeah, some of the classic games are fun. But for some of them the graphics look like they belong in the 80's ie. space junk. I like Observation Tower.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed; I like observation tower too, but I would've liked it more if they gave you more time to be able to notice all the numbers. (I think it was their attempt to integrate attention with memory)

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      @FM I am happy with the given time. :P

Space Junk looks liked it was created by a 2nd year Computer Science student! I love that it's so retro!

Comment

Thanks for the link. This looks interesting.

Comment

I recently saw Lumosity reply to someone on Twitter that memory matrix and follow that frog use n-back..

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
          Foolish Mortal commented
          Editing a comment
          I can see follow that frog, no idea what memory matrix has to do with n-back other than they both involving space O_O

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c03...dd6dc7a2d2.pdf

A research paper that found factual conclusions (just crtl+f n-back) that an intervention group trained with n-back for a month finds gains of 0.5 to 1.0 standard deviation with transfer in different task skills. So if the scale is 15 SD, that's 7.5-15 iq points.

Comment

• Evan
          Evan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info!

• DirkFrances
          DirkFrances commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn. I need to play more n-back.

• Foolish Mortal
          Foolish Mortal commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, tell all your friends haha it'd be interesting to see how society would change if everyone was 10 iq points smarter.

Thank you for this information!

Comment

Dual n-back is very very very hard. But I feel like it is working. You should really play for at least 30 days to get gains, but I believe it is worth it. The visuals of Memory Lane is a lot better. Dual is meant not to look cool. It is the same idea, but Dual has a lot more research behind it. If you want to read about it, a great book is "Smarter" by Dan Hurly.

For those not familiar with it, but have an interest in cognitive games, this is one of the training programs that started the trend. Fair warning, Dual n-back is very different from the other games. It takes 20 minutes on it´s own, and it is less "fun" than the other stuff Lumosity put out.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            The book is interesting, thanks for the info.

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            So when I posted that comment I had only read 1/3 of the book. After having read another 1/3 by flipping past some of the middle stuff regarding the author's own reasons for starting the book, I'm quite happy to say my interest has been piqued doubly. This is a great resource.

And now I finished, feeling slightly annoyed at the fact that the author left out what the test ceiling was *rolls eyes. Not like that's important amirite? It's not like 160 iq at 24SD would equal 137 iq at 15SD in which 137-138 would be a perfectly reasonable ceiling. (On a side note, I think that I may have missed a detail, would you happen to remember how long he did this for? I remember reading about the daily amount of time he put in each day but that aspect of how long escapes me) Again thanks for sharing this tho.
            Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 08-05-2018, 05:35 PM.

Interesting! I googled dual n-back and found this pic. Lumosity used to have a game called...wait for it...dual n-back! Maybe they discontinued it because it took too long to play, or was too difficult? (according to the comments in here). =)

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
            Foolish Mortal commented
            Editing a comment
            They probably realized there's no incentive in publishing a game that is already freely available (they need to encourage their own stuff for brand loyalty)

• CarlosTheJackal
            CarlosTheJackal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, most probably.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          If you want to read about it, a great book is "Smarter" by Dan Hurly.
          I haven't read it (yet). I think that is one of the great things about Lumosity - their user base is HUGE, so it can be a study in and of itself. The amount of data they can gleam is immense, and one would hope they would use that data to improve the designs of their n-back type games.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x