Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's something amiss here... hmm

So, Lumosity dismisses your lowest performing game from each subcategory (speed, memory, attention, flexibility, and problem solving) which is normal. But there still seems to be something wrong, can you spot it?

Your best LPI is below 2000?

EDIT: The memory and flexibility has a high and low score?
    Last edited by DirkFrances; 04-06-2018, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the average of 2000 lpi from speed, memory, attention, flexibility, and problem solving, seems to be 1999

• DirkFrances
      DirkFrances commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your phone AND website scores affect the overall LPI.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an interesting theory, I feel like there should still be proper representations in the subcategories and math segment though. (As the second image shows, none of my math games are below 2000 as well, but the stats represent them with a 1999 math lpi)

I've noticed little quirks like this before that make me think the Lumosity programmers can't do basic math.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Same, I'm curious at the algorithms they use to calculate the lpi stats: I had a moment when my memory stat was lowered by 3 and so lowered my overall by 1 - then I raised my memory by 10 only to see no change in the overall whatsoever O_O

Impressive numbers FM!

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you : D; I had just achieved 2000 in memory and was looking forward to an all 2000 lpi stats sheet so I was a bit disappointed that the overall hadn't changed from 1999 to 2000 despite my hard work the past 2-3 days. I was also a week behind from when I thought I could "achieve" 2000: I wasted about half a week to bad sleeping cycles, but I still reached it more closely than when another person on youtube thought I would reach it by, by about a week or so, so I'm quite content.

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      Just Photoshop in the 2000 if you need to show a pic to someone. We all know it should be 2000 anyway.

• DirkFrances
      DirkFrances commented
      Editing a comment
      I am interested in these bad sleep cycles. Are you staying up all night?

• PaulBenne
      PaulBenne commented
      Editing a comment
      @FM Bad sleep definitely has a negative impact on the LPI.

@DF He is probably staying up late studying for the midsems.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      @DF Ha, I've personally found it optimal to sleep before 10:30 and at the latest 11:30 or such in terms of efficiency in improvement. (Usually I end up sleeping around 12 though) But sometimes I end up trying to rush a goal (becomes counterproductive; sometimes it works) or indulge myself after achieving a goal (so I work towards it and not burn out) I found this to be more efficient as otherwise I end up improving more slowly, because I didn't get anything out of it. (Very possible it's just a self-discipline problem though)
      Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 04-07-2018, 03:09 AM.

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      Foolish Mortal Most uni students I know sleep at 1-2 am, which is crazy. They're like vampires.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's quite understandable. I sometimes slept around 4am and tried to get up for an 8am class - I failed, although for me it was just that my sleep cycles were so messed up that I was losing the will and urge to fight through it. I think I had found a way where I would just sleep twice a day everyday and that actually worked ok for awhile until the break happened and my parents were screaming at me to wake up and couldn't understand why I was sleeping both at the middle and end of a day.

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      10.30 pm is probably the best time to sleep for an 8 am class.

I don't think Lumosity really cares that much about the calculation of LPIs. LPIs seem just to be a generally inaccurate stat or bad points system.

Congrats on getting 1999.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, yeah they probably wouldn't see 1999 or 2000 as being much of a difference. The question though is that because most games are open-ended, how do you devise an "accurate" system. -The numbers help for people like me who like to keep track of their progress and devise goals out of them. -It's a bit flawed to have limitless games with limited lpi scores, so I'd assume they try to use percentiles to base the lpi performances, while making the lpi cap possible and not too easy. Too easy and you stop playing the game too quickly, too far away and you'll spend too much time on them rather than their other games.

As you say it's a philosophy in choosing how you want to look at the subject from what angle, to each their own view I suppose.

@FM Good point about open ended games with a capped LPI of 2000. What were they thinking?

Comment

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I don't think it's too big of a deal: I'd assume for people like anna who play the lumosity games without consideration for lpi, the fact that it's inaccurate doesn't matter (although is inaccurate an accurate term to use if it's inherently incapable of being accurate I don't know). As for people who do look at it as a measuring tool, it won't matter that much since everyone is scaled the same way and few will actually get to the point where they exceed a 2000 performance - And If you do actually exceed it and you're doing that well, you should be able to keep track of your own performance without a tool anyway.

I think the only issue that occurs as happenstance is that some will excel at one game by a lot, and others at a more or less normal level and not get credit for it in the overalls. But hey that's life.

• pinkcat
      pinkcat commented
      Editing a comment
      ^ This.

This is just a video adaptation of how I felt about my 2000 lpi achievement. For some reason it keeps declaring it as an invalid url when I try to link it directly.
    https://youtu.be/whdzxaN-6yc

Comment

• Evan
      Evan commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting choice of music. I was expecting some commentary.

• Foolish Mortal
      Foolish Mortal commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I was going for a psychological attempt at communicating what I was thinking haha.

Originally posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
    This is just a video adaptation of how I felt about my 2000 lpi achievement. For some reason it keeps declaring it as an invalid url when I try to link it directly.
    https://youtu.be/whdzxaN-6yc

I am a moderator in this community

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x