X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many guest posts in a thread is confusing

Hi Mylumolife.

I think that the option for guests to make posts can lead to confusion if there is more than one guest in a thread and there is no way to identify who is who. Just makes for following a thread unnecessarily complicated. I can only see this becoming a growing issue as this community grows.

Hi pinkcat,

You make a valid point.

Guests can and do make a positive contribution to discussions, however, guests do not contribute to building communities where people can relate to each other. Registered members can't be certain if they have interacted with a guest in another thread, and so can't make references to anything that was discussed in previous conversations. A guest can't fully participate in forum activities such as participating in polls or contacting (or being contacted by) registered members. Some interesting and innovative forum features even had to be turned off to accommodate for guests. All of these factors hinder the building of this community, and if the community can't grow, then it will cease to exist sooner or later.

Ideally, I would like to limit the number of posts from a guest IP address to five, and then that IP address is required to register, but I am not sure if there is a setting to achieve this.

This community is still very small, so I will continue to allow guests to post in order to attract more participation from visitors.

Thank you for your contribution, pinkcat.

Comment

It can definitely get confusing in a thread full of guest posts, especially when they quote each other!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Big Grin :D Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Frown :( Wink ;) Mad :mad: Smile :) Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x